mercoledì 21 maggio 2008

Food: American Delicacy

Now I am not one for fast food at all, in fact until yesterday I have not eaten any fast food in many a year. But when I sunk my teeth into a McDonald's cheeseburger and fries my taste buds exploded! I am a man who enjoys eating dead animals. I have never eaten a salad and never will, but I eat a beef or chicken product at a bare minimum of one meal per day back home. As much as I love Italian cooking they just are lacking when it comes to the carne part of their diet. I usually try to order things with meat on or in them like paninis, pizzas or pastas and even though they do have some meat in them they do not know how to pile it high like we do back home. The two things that I miss most (besides family and friends) would be our style of food preparation and video games. Given the fact I can not get my fix of video games anywhere here I have to work on finding the places that serve food a little more my way. Unfortunately McDonalds is the closest thing to that, and I have to honestly say I am whole heartily enjoying fast food now. I am still eating Italian food a lot but I stop in and hit up the Euro menu every now and again when I need a quick fix. You can only eat pasta and pizza so many times before it starts to get old. So if anyone has that feeling when they crave some good old fashioned, steroid injected, gene altered, slaughtered animal then a McDonalds is your cure-all.

1 commento:

Margaret ha detto...

One meat course that I get whenever I am in Rome, and have never found the equivalent of in the US is something called "Abacchio scotto ditto." It is baby lamb chops, pan fried, with pepper and some herbs, served hot off the stove -- "scotto ditto" means "watch your fingers." You are expected to pick up each chop (you get a stack of them) and eat it with your fingers. My favorite place to get this is a small restaurant, run by a former soccer player, on Via Madonna dei Monti (about a block and a half toward the forum from Via Serpenti).

You might also like "orso bucco" or veal "saltimbocco' (jumps in your mouth) or any pasta with with wild boar sausage.

Some of these you can get near you, at the restaurant, Orso 80, at that address on Via Orso.